A treasure map does not become worthless because it is old. Nobody finds a treasure map and throws it away simply because it is old. The value of a treasure map is not determined by how new or old it is. The value of a treasure map is determined by two factors. Does the map lead to treasure? How great is the treasure?
The Rosary is like an ancient treasure map. It has led countless men and women from all walks of life to the treasures of peace, joy, clarity, and contentment. If you’re willing to give it a try and follow where it leads, you’ll find the Rosary is a rich prayer that can transform your life.
Quite simply, the Rosary works. Here are 10 reasons why to pray the Rosary.
1. Peace. We live hectic lives in a chaotic world. All this can lead to a confusion that fogs the mind, unsettles the soul, and leads to poor decisions. Amidst all this chaos and confusion our souls yearn for peace and clarity. There is just something about the Rosary that settles our hearts and minds. It reaches deep down into our souls and puts us at ease, creating a peace that is rare and beautiful.
2. Perspective. Do you ever feel like stepping back from the world? Do you ever feel like taking a nice, long, extended break from the daily commitments and responsibilities? The Rosary is a great way to do that. It allows us to leave the world behind for a little while and get some perspective. By praying the Rosary we get to step back from who we are, where we are, and what we’re doing, and reassess who we are and what on earth we are doing.
3. Always What We Need. The Rosary is ever fresh, ever new, and deeply personal. Every time we pray it, we can have a completely different experience than we did yesterday or last week. Of course, the Rosary doesn’t change, but we do. Our questions change. Our struggles and concerns change. Our faith and doubts change. Where we are in our journey with God changes. The Rosary provides the context, the format, and the process for God to speak to us about all these things.
4. Mary. Nobody sees the life of a child the way that child’s mother does—not even the father. This is Mary’s perspective of Jesus’ life. She has a unique perspective. It seems that every genuine Christian, not just Catholics, should be interested in that perspective—and not just interested, but fascinated. In the Rosary we ponder the life of Jesus through the eyes of his mother. This is an incredibly powerful experience if we enter into it fully.
5. Awareness. This is a giant benefit from praying the Rosary, and it is central to a rich and vibrant spiritual life. Being aware of what is happening inside, around us, and to us, is one of the most incredible gifts God can give us. One of the rarest gifts that awareness freely gives us is the ability to see things as they really are. This extraordinary clarity tends to make those who possess it very good decision makers. The many ways we can pray and reflect with the Rosary help us grow in awareness.
6. Epic Moments. When we pray the Rosary, we reflect on some of the most epic moments in history. For example, the Annunciation, Mary’s moment, the moment when her “yes” changed the world. Imagine the monumental courage that would have required. Think about it. Everything hung in the balance. What would have happened if Mary had said no? And there are 20 of these moments in the different mysteries of the Rosary. Imagine what we can learn.
7. Slow Down. Praying the Rosary regularly encourages us to slow down, which in turn should encourage us to live life at a different pace than the rest of the world. We learn from Mary how to look at an experience, hold it in our hearts, and ponder what it means for our lives. This slower pace also allows us to be present. The Rosary will teach you to be 100% present to whoever and whatever is in front of you at any given moment.
8. Community. When we come together, great things can happen. When we come together to pray the Rosary, even greater things can happen. The Rosary has the power to impact the lives of our loved ones, our communities, and our nation. What can we pray for? We can pray for the needs of our families and friends. We can pray for our communities, for our cities and neighborhoods, for our schools and churches, and for the hungry, lonely, and sick. We can pray for our nation, our leaders, and our troops. Praying the Rosary can bring peace to a troubled world, healing to broken hearts, and clarity to those in chaos.
9. The-Best-Version-of-Ourselves. Praying the Rosary helps us look at who we are, and challenges us to become a-better-version-of-ourselves. We become intimately familiar with the better person we know we can be—a better friend, a better parent, a better spouse, a better child and sibling, a better employer and leader, a better citizen of this country, and a better member of the human family.
10. Healing. Who doesn’t need their history healed? Who doesn’t want to be rescued from the turbulence and anxiety of modern life? Who doesn’t want their soul healed? Every time you pray the Rosary, Jesus welcomes you into his life and you welcome him into your life. Bring him your deepest pains and struggles, and let him heal the hurt. Only great things can happen when you invite Jesus into your life.
The benefits of praying the Rosary are countless, but don’t take our word for it. Try it for yourself.
Now don’t expect that you will pray the Rosary once and find perfect peace and happiness. It requires a habit. It may be something you pray every Wednesday night. It may be something you pray once a month on the first Friday of each month. It may be something you feel called to do every day. The point is, praying the Rosary is an incredible prayer that can change your life if you make it a spiritual habit.
If you don’t know how to pray the Rosary, learn how to pray it with this how-to guide. It is simple and powerful. If you know how to pray the Rosary, decide how often you are going to pray, when and where you are going to pray, and start praying. Develop a habit of praying the Rosary, and it will change your life in unimaginable ways.