Why Give Out Books This Easter?
32% of people at Easter and Christmas Mass only come to church once a year. For years we have been letting them come and go with no real effort to win them back. But what if it was as simple as just handing them a great Catholic book on their way out of church?
For eight years Dynamic Catholic has been making it possible for parishes and dioceses to distribute great Catholic books to parishioners and visitors at Easter and Christmas Mass through the Dynamic Catholic Book Program. We began this program as a way to re-engage disengaged Catholics. This effort has been incredibly successful.
More than 10 million books have been distributed. Each year more than 5,000 parishes participate. Why? Because it’s simple, affordable, and transforming parishes around the nation.
Books change our lives. What we read today walks and talks with us tomorrow. Sometimes all it takes to bring people back to church is the right book. But it’s not about the books. It’s about changing lives and transforming parishes.
How Does it work?
- 1 You order a bunch of books.
- 2 At Christmas, Easter, or Ash Wednesday, friendly volunteers pass out the books to people as they leave church.
- 3 Encourage people to read the book with regular and inspiring announcements.
- 4 You hear people talking about how the book is changing their life . . . for months and months.
How much does it cost?
We believe in keeping things simple.
By Matthew Kelly and 26 other incredible Catholic authors
Order 500 copies or more for just $2* per copy including shipping. Order 6-499 copies for just $3 per copy, including shipping.
Order 500 copies or more for just $2 per copy, including shipping. Order 6-499 copies for just $3 per copy, including shipping.
18 interesting facts
- The Dynamic Catholic Book Program (DCBP) is the most successful New Evangelization initiative in the United States today.
- Parishes that participate in the program three years in a row experience a 9.1% increase in attendance and a 10.4% increase in collections on average.
- So far the DCBP has served more than 5,000 of the 15,000 parishes in the United States.
- 99.7% of parishes that participate say they will do it again.
- More than 10 million books and CDs have been distributed through the program.
- Since its inception, the DCBP has brought more people back to the Catholic Church than any other program in America.
- The first book offered through this program was Rediscover Catholicism. First published in 2002, this book was on the Catholic Book Publishers Association bestseller list for more than seven years in a row (or 364 weeks) before the Dynamic Catholic Book Program began. Today it is the bestselling Catholic book in America ever, other than the Bible!
- Parishioners who read Catholic books on a regular basis contribute four times more financially to their parish (and are three times more likely to volunteer at the their parish) than parishioners who do not.
- In 2007, only 1% of American Catholics read a Catholic book. The DCBP increased the number to 9.3% in 2012. That is a 900% increase in just five short years.
- Spiritual reading has been central to our spiritual development since before the invention of the printing press. The great spiritual directors of every age have encouraged those they direct to read great texts that would lead to spiritual growth.
- If only one person comes back to church because you pass out books and that person happens to be forty years old, lives to be eighty, and puts just $10 in the collection each week, he/she will contribute $20,800 to your parish during the remainder of his/her life. You would have to buy 10,401 books for it to be a bad financial investment. If just two people come back you would have to buy 20,801 books for it to be a bad financial investment. If ten people come back to church you would have to buy 104,001 books to lose money.
- 32% of Catholics only come to church once a year—at Christmas! After Christmas, Ash Wednesday and Easter are our best opportunities to re-engage Catholics.
- Order less than 500 books for $3 per copy. Order 500 books or more for just $2 per copy. Shipping and handling is included in these prices.
- The books we offer for as little as $2 usually retail for $17.95 each. These are books, not booklets or pamphlets.
- 43% of parishes call within two weeks of distributing the books to order more.
- Holy Spirit Parish in Fremont, California, placed an order for 10,000 books, which is the largest order placed by a parish.
- St. Mary of the Annunciation in Mundelein, Illinois, has participated in the DCBP eight times, which is the current record.
- In 2012, the Archdiocese of Minneapolis ordered 200,000 copies of Rediscover Catholicism to distribute at Christmas Masses, making it the largest single order in the history of the program.
What are people Saying?
“I have been away from the Church for twenty years, but last Christmas something drew me to go. On the way out of Mass everyone was handed a book and I read it.
I came back to the Church because of that book.”Lindsey — Ohio
“For the past two years we have given out Dynamic Catholic books, DVDs or CDs to every adult attending Mass at Christmas and Easter. These gifts have been well received by parishioners and visitors, and some will come back to ask for additional copies for family and friends. Dynamic Catholic publications are a wonderful tool for evangelization and I highly recommend that pastors find a place in their budget to make these materials as widely available as possible. We are planting seeds at Epiphany and praying for a fruitful harvest. ”Monsignor Leslie Ivers — New York
“OK, I must admit, I was skeptical. I thought to myself, ‘What is a book going to do? Most people probably won’t even read it.’ But I have been amazed how passing a bunch of books out has re-energized our parish. It has been six months since we passed the books out and still a week does not go by without someone telling me how the book changed their life.”Fr. Joe — California
“A great book can transform a life. The Dynamic Catholic Book Program can transform a parish.”
Mark — California
“Our parishioners were so inspired by the book they received at Christmas that they are attending Mass more regularly and giving more generously. Our weekly collections are the highest they’ve ever been!”
Fr. James — Texas
“This was our third year to give away your books and CDs to parishioners at Christmas and Easter. We are starting to see the benefits in increased requests for parish enrollment forms.”
Lawrence — Tennessee