Why Give Out Books This Christmas?
Thirty-two percent of people at Easter and Christmas Mass only come to church once a year. For years we have been letting them come and go with no real effort to win them back. But what if it was as simple as just handing them a great Catholic book on their way into church?
For nine years Dynamic Catholic has been making it possible for parishes and dioceses to distribute great Catholic books to parishioners and visitors at Christmas and Easter Masses. We began the Dynamic Catholic Book Program as a way to re-engage disengaged Catholics—thousands of people have come back to church as a result. We also hoped the program would breathe new life into parishes—and it has certainly done that.
More than 15 million books have been distributed. Each year more than 5,000 parishes participate. Why? Because it’s simple and affordable, and it’s transforming parishes across the country.
Books change our lives. Sometimes all it takes to bring people back to church is the right book at the right time. The Dynamic Catholic Book Program is changing lives and transforming parishes.
How Does it work?
- 1 You order a bunch of books.
- 2 At Christmas or Easter Masses friendly volunteers pass out the books as people come to church.
- 3 Through the use of regular and inspiring announcements, you encourage people to read the book.
- 4 For months and months you hear people talking about how the book is changing their lives.
How much does it cost?
We believe in keeping things simple.
By Matthew Kelly
Order 500 copies or more for just $2 per book. Or order 6–499 copies for just $3 per book (includes shipping).
Order 500 copies or more for just $2 per book (includes shipping). Or order 6-499 copies for just $3 per book (includes shipping).
To place your Book Program order for Resisting Happiness or our other titles, visit DynamicCatholic.com or call (859) 980-7900.
20 interesting facts
- The Dynamic Catholic Book Program (DCBP) is the most successful New Evangelization initiative in the United States today.
- In 2015, we distributed 3.1 million copies of Rediscover Jesus.
- Parishes that participate in the program three years in a row experience a 9.1 percent increase in attendance and a 10.4 percent increase in collections on average.
- So far the DCBP has served more than 5,000 of the 15,000 parishes in the United States.
- Of those 5,000 parishes, 99.7 percent say they will participate again.
- More than 15 million books and CDs have been distributed through the program.
- Since its inception, the DCBP has brought more people back to the Catholic Church than any other program in America.
- The first book offered through the program was Rediscover Catholicism. First published in 2002, this book was on the Catholic Book Publishers Association bestseller list for more than seven years in a row (or 364 weeks) before the Dynamic Catholic Book Program began. Today it is the bestselling Catholic book in America ever, other than the Bible!
- Parishes that distributed the books to people as they came to church instead of as they were leaving saw their collections increase by an average of 25 percent, and priests found people were more attentive to the homilies.
- Parishioners who read Catholic books on a regular basis contribute four times more financially to their parish (and are three times more likely to volunteer at the their parish) than parishioners who do not.
- In 2007, only 1 percent of American Catholics read a Catholic book. The DCBP increased the number to 9.3 percent in 2012. That is a 900 percent increase in just five short years.
- Spiritual reading has been central to our spiritual development since before the invention of the printing press. The great spiritual directors of every age have encouraged those they direct to read great texts that would lead to spiritual growth.
- If only one person comes back to church because you pass out books and that person happens to be forty years old, lives to be eighty, and puts just ten dollars in the collection each week, they will contribute $20,800 to your parish during the remainder of their life. You would have to buy 10,401 books for it to be a bad financial investment. If just two people come back you would have to buy 20,801 books for it to be a bad financial investment. If ten people come back to church you would have to buy 104,001 books to lose money.
- Thirty-two percent of Catholics only come to church once a year—at Christmas! After Christmas, Ash Wednesday and Easter are our best opportunities to re-engage Catholics.
- Order less than 500 books for $3 per copy. Order 500 books or more for just $2 per copy. Shipping and handling is included in these prices.
- The books we offer for as little as $2 usually retail for $17.95 each. These are books, not booklets or pamphlets.
- Within two weeks of distributing the books, 43 percent of parishes call to order more.
- Holy Spirit Parish in Fremont, California, placed an order for 10,000 books, which is the largest order placed by a parish.
- St. Mary of the Annunciation in Mundelein, Illinois, has participated in the DCBP eight times, which is the current record.
- In 2012, the Archdiocese of Minneapolis ordered 200,000 copies of Rediscover Catholicism to distribute at Christmas Masses, making it the largest single order in the history of the program.
Over the past [NINE YEARS]
more than [FIVE THOUSAND] parishes
and [FIFTEEN MILLION] Catholics
have benefitted from the Dynamic Catholic [BOOK] Program
What are people Saying?
“I have been away from the Church for twenty years, but last Christmas something drew me to go. On the way out of Mass everyone was handed a book and I read it.
I came back to the Church because of that book.”Lindsey — Ohio
“For the past two years we have given out Dynamic Catholic books, DVDs or CDs to every adult attending Mass at Christmas and Easter. These gifts have been well received by parishioners and visitors, and some will come back to ask for additional copies for family and friends. Dynamic Catholic publications are a wonderful tool for evangelization and I highly recommend that pastors find a place in their budget to make these materials as widely available as possible. We are planting seeds at Epiphany and praying for a fruitful harvest. ”Monsignor Leslie Ivers — New York
“OK, I must admit, I was skeptical. I thought to myself, ‘What is a book going to do? Most people probably won’t even read it.’ But I have been amazed how passing a bunch of books out has re-energized our parish. It has been six months since we passed the books out and still a week does not go by without someone telling me how the book changed their life.”Fr. Joe — California
“A great book can transform a life. The Dynamic Catholic Book Program can transform a parish.”
Mark — California
“Our parishioners were so inspired by the book they received at Christmas that they are attending Mass more regularly and giving more generously. Our weekly collections are the highest they’ve ever been!”
Fr. James — Texas
“This was our third year to give away your books and CDs to parishioners at Christmas and Easter. We are starting to see the benefits in increased requests for parish enrollment forms.”
Lawrence — Tennessee