Parish Book Program
It all Started with a
very simple Idea:
32% of the people at Christmas Mass only come to Church once a year. It’s our best opportunity to re-engage them.
For years we have been letting them come and go with no real effort to win them back.
What if it was as simple as just giving them a great Catholic book on the way out of church?
It is. Books change our lives. Sometimes all it takes to bring people back to Church is the right book.
What is the Dynamic
A simple and affordable way to re-engage disengaged Catholics and re-energize your parish.
How Does it work?
- 1 You order a bunch of books.
- 2 At Christmas, Easter, or Ash Wednesday, friendly volunteers pass out the books to people as they leave Church.
- 3 You encourage people to read the book with regular and inspiring announcements.
- 4 You hear people talking about how the book is changing their lives for months, and months, and months…
How much does it cost?
We believe in keeping things as simple as possible. Order 500 copies or more for $2 per copy (including shipping). Orders 6 to 499 copies are $3 per copy (including shipping).
18 interesting facts
- The Dynamic Catholic Parish Book Program (DCPBP) is the most successful New Evangelization initiative in the United States today.
- Parishes that participate in the program three years in a row experience a 9.1% increase in attendance and a 10.4% increase in collections on average.
- So far the DCPBP has served more than 4,000 of the 15,000 parishes in the United States.
- 99.7% of parishes that participate say they will do it again.
- More than 5,000,000 books and CDs have been distributed through the program.
- Since its inception, the DCPBP has brought more people back to the Catholic Church than any other program in America.
- The first book offered through this program was Rediscover Catholicism. First published in 2001, this book was on the Catholic Book Publishers Association bestseller list for more than seven years in a row (or 364 weeks) before the Dynamic Catholic Parish Book Program began. Today it is the bestselling Catholic book in America ever!
- Parishioners who read Catholic books on a regular basis contribute four times more financially to their parish (and are three times more likely to volunteer at the their parish) than parishioners who do not.
- In 2007, only one percent of American Catholics read a Catholic book. The DCBP has increased the number to 9.3% in 2012. That is a 900% increase in just five short years.
- Spiritual reading has been central to our spiritual development since before the invention of the printing press. The great spiritual directors of every age have encouraged those they direct to read great texts that would lead to spiritual growth.
- If only one person comes back to Church because you pass out books… and that person is forty years old, lives to eighty, and puts just $10 in the collection each week, he/she will contribute $20,800 to your parish during the remainder of his/her life. You would have to buy 10,401 books for it to be a bad financial investment. If just two people come back you would have to buy 20,801 books for it to be a bad financial investment. If ten people come back to Church you would have to buy 104,001 books to lose money.
- 32% of Catholics only come to church once a year – at Christmas! After Christmas, Ash Wednesday and Easter are our best opportunities to re-engage Catholics.
- Order less than 500 books for $3 a copy. Order more than 500 books for $2 a copy. Shipping and handling is included in these prices.
- The books we offer for as little as $2 usually retail for $17.95 each. These are books, not booklets or pamphlets.
- 43% of parishes call within two weeks of distributing the books to order more.
- The largest single parish order ever was 10,000 books by Holy Spirit in Fremont, California.
- St. Mary of the Annunciation in Mundelein, Illinois has participated in the program eight times, which is the record at this time.
- In 2012, the Archdiocese of Minneapolis ordered 200,000 copies of Rediscover Catholicism to distribute at Christmas Masses, making it the largest single order in the history of the program.
What are people Saying?
“I have been away from the Church for twenty years, but last Christmas something
drew me to go. On the way out of Mass everyone was handed a book and I read it.
I came back to the Church because of that book.”Lindsey G. — Ohio
“For the past two years we have given out Dynamic Catholic books, DVD’s or CD’s to every adult attending Mass at Christmas and Easter. These gifts have been well received by parishioners and visitors and some will come back to ask for additional copies for family and friends. Dynamic Catholic publications are a wonderful tool for evangelization and I highly recommend that pastors find a place in their budget to make these materials as widely available as possible. We are planting seeds at Epiphany and praying for a fruitful harvest. ”Monsignor Leslie Ivers — New York
“Ok, I must admit, I was skeptical. I thought to myself, ‘What is a book going to do?
Most people probably won’t even read it.’ But I have been amazed how passing a
bunch of books out has re-energized our parish. It has been six months since we
passed the books out and still a week does not go by without someone telling me
how the book changed their life.”Fr. Joe C. — California
“A great book can transform a life. The Dynamic Catholic Book Program can transform a parish.”
Mark M. — California
“Our parishioners were so inspired by the book they received at Christmas that
they are attending Mass more regularly and giving more generously. Our weekly
collections are the highest they’ve ever been!”
Fr. James P. — Texas
“This was our third year to give away your books and CDs to parishioners at
Christmas and Easter. We are starting to see the benefits in increased requests
for parish enrollment forms.”
Lawrence F. — Tennessee
Sign up here and choose the ways you would like us to keep you inspired!Subscribe