The Prayer Process
PRAYER CHANGES EVERYTHING.
It is impossible to get close to Jesus and stay close to him without developing an intimate daily conversation with him. This conversation has two main parts: scheduled prayer and spontaneous prayer.
Each day we need a time that is set aside exclusively for prayer. This focused time of prayer each day, when we step away from the world to speak with God, is indispensable. We simply cannot grow spiritually without a consistent and persistent effort to pray; the Christian life is simply not sustainable without it.
More than anything else, The Prayer Process is designed to facilitate an intimate conversation with God about not only the things that are happening in your life, but also the things that are happening deep in your heart and soul—and to discern God’s will for our lives.
Prayer is not the place for trivial conversation that avoids all the real issues. It is the place to get into everything that brings us high and low, to explore our hopes and dreams, our fears and concerns, our light and our dark sides, and our deepest desires. Prayer is not the place to hold back.
The Prayer Process
- Gratitude: Begin by thanking God in a personal dialogue for whatever you are most grateful for today.
- Awareness: Revisit the times in the past twenty-four hours when you were and were not the-best-version-of-yourself ®. Talk to God about these situations and what you learned from them.
- Significant Moments: Identify something you experienced today and explore what God might be trying to say to you through that event (or person).
- Peace: Ask God to forgive you for any wrong you have committed (against yourself, another person, or him) and to fill you with a deep and abiding peace.
- Freedom: Speak with God about how he is inviting you to change your life, so that you can experience the freedom to be the-best-version-of-yourself.
- Others:Lift up to God anyone you feel called to pray for today, asking God to bless and guide them.
- Finish by praying the Our Father.
Excerpt taken from Chapter 26 of Matthew Kelly’s new bestseller Rediscover Jesus. Get your free copy here (just pay shipping).
Take The Prayer Process with you wherever you go with The Prayer Process Card (just pay shipping).
Are you making spiritual progress?
Set aside time to go through The Prayer Process today. If you find it helpful, get a pack of Prayer Process Cardsso you can use it for scheduled prayer time.
Jesus, fill me with the grace to set aside a few minutes each day to spend just chatting with you.